Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial day...

My husband has a hero... his name is Grandpa Baker.  As I sit here with Memorial Day 2013 drawing to a close, all I can think about is Grandpa.  

Have you ever met someone whose spirit reminds you so much of another you have loved before?  That's how I feel about Grandpa... from the moment I met him, his beautiful spirit shined through... He reminds me so much of my hero, my sweet Nannie.  She passed away years ago, but I'm sure if Grandpa and Nannie had ever had a chance to meet they would have been fast friends... they are both so loving and welcoming... 

Although I have only known Grandpa for a short time in life, he has made a mark on my heart that is undeniable... something which I believe he has done for many other people who have crossed his path.

I will never forget the first time Grandpa and I really talked... He told me all about his "sweetheart"... she had passed away several years before... ladies this is fair warning --- tissues might be needed... I don't know if I ever heard a man talk so adoringly about the woman he loves... maybe that kind of bravery comes with age... it was beautiful...

After listening to him talk about his sweetheart, I knew that Grandpa Baker was the kind of man that women usually only read about in books (today books like that are written by Nicholas Sparks)... after I learned about Grandma Baker, he asked me if I wanted to see her picture... of course I said yes!  I'm not sure what I was expecting... but I could not have imagined anything more sweet... Grandpa pulled out a picture from his wallet of Grandma from the day they got married... y'all that was a LONG time ago... he had "laminated" it with clear tape so the picture would stand up to year after year in his wallet... folks, when people say "they don't make 'em like that anymore" they are talking about Grandpa Baker.

I've never asked my sweet husband why Grandpa Baker is his hero... upon meeting Grandpa there was no need to ask... He is a hero in so many ways...

For the way he served his country in WWII...

For the way he loved his wife...

For the way he raised his children...

For the way he adores his grandchildren and great grandchildren...

For the way he loves Our Lord...

On Memorial Day I am reminded of not only Grandpa Baker's service to our country... I am also reminded of his incredible spirit and the wonderful way he has touched the lives of so many people.

  
My husband with his hero!


Thank you for everything, Grandpa... I love you!


Sincerely...

HGrohn



No comments:

Post a Comment